Harris Bang is a fifth year Ph.D student in mechanical engineering at Cornell University. His research interests are in developing intelligent systems that can collaborate with humans for early-phase design of complex systems.
An interactive design approach can combine rigor and consistency of computational tools with creative and holistic views of the humans. Harris is investigating different means of communication for exchanging information between the human and an intelligent agent, to enable effective collaboration. Specifically, he develops software tools that utilize data mining and visualization to support tradespace exploration and complex decision making in engineering design. His work draws from a variety of technical domains, including cognitive science, artificial intelligence, data mining, and human-computer interaction.
Prior to joining Cornell, he received his bachelor’s degree in both mechanical engineering and bioengineering from Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) in 2014.
- Bang, H. and Selva, D., 2019. Discovering generalized design knowledge using a multi-objective evolutionary algorithm with generalization operators. Expert Systems with Applications, 143(1), 113025 (accepted)
- Hitomi, N., Bang, H. and Selva, D., 2018. Adaptive Knowledge-Driven Optimization for Architecting a Distributed Satellite System. Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, 15(8), pp.485-500.
Peer-reviewed conference papers
- Bang, H., Shi, Y.L.Z., Hoffman, G., Yoon, S.Y. and Selva, D., 2018, July. Exploring the Feature Space to Aid Learning in Design Space Exploration. In International Conference on-Design Computing and Cognition (pp. 195-212). Springer, Cham.
- Shi, Y.L.Z., Bang, H., Hoffman, G., Selva, D. and Yoon, S.Y., 2018, July. Cognitive Style and Field Knowledge in Complex Design Problem-Solving: A Comparative Case Study of Decision Support Systems. In International Conference on-Design Computing and Cognition (pp. 341-360). Springer, Cham.
- Law, M.V., Dhawan, N., Bang, H., Yoon, S.Y., Selva, D. and Hoffman, G., 2018, July. Side-by-Side Human–Computer Design Using a Tangible User Interface. In International Conference on-Design Computing and Cognition (pp. 155-173). Springer, Cham.
- Bang, H., Virós Martin, A., Prat, A. and Selva, D., 2018. Daphne: An Intelligent Assistant for Architecting Earth Observing Satellite Systems. In 2018 AIAA Information Systems-AIAA Infotech@ Aerospace (p. 1366).
- Bang, H. and Selva, D., 2017, August. Leveraging Logged Intermediate Design Attributes for Improved Knowledge Discovery in Engineering Design, In Proceedings of the ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2016, Cleveland, OH, August 2017
- Hitomi, N., Bang, H. and Selva, D., 2017. Extracting and applying knowledge with adaptive knowledge-driven optimization to architect an earth observing satellite system. In AIAA Information Systems-AIAA Infotech@ Aerospace (p. 0794).
- Bang, H. and Selva, D., 2016, August. iFEED: interactive feature extraction for engineering design, In Proceedings of the ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2016, Boston, MA, August 2016.