Harris Bang is a fifth year Ph.D student in mechanical engineering at Cornell University. His research interests are in developing intelligent systems that can collaborate with humans for early-phase design of complex systems.
An interactive design approach can combine rigor and consistency of computational tools with creative and holistic views of the humans. Harris is investigating different means of communication for exchanging information between the human and an intelligent agent, to enable effective collaboration. Specifically, he develops software tools that utilize data mining and visualization to support tradespace exploration and complex decision making in engineering design. His work draws from a variety of technical domains, including cognitive science, artificial intelligence, data mining, and human-computer interaction.
Prior to joining Cornell, he received his bachelor’s degree in both mechanical engineering and bioengineering from Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) in 2009.
- Hyunseung Bang, Yuan Ling Zi Shi, Guy Homan, So-Yeon Yoon, and Daniel Selva, Exploring the Feature Space to Aid Learning in Design Space Exploration, In Design Computing and Cognition 18, Springer
- Yuan Ling Zi Shi, Hyunseung Bang, Guy Homan, Daniel Selva, and So-Yeon Yoon, Cognitive Style and eld knowledge in complex design problem solving: A comparative case study of decision support systems, In Design Computing and Cognition 18, Springer
- Matt Law, Nikhil Dhawan, Hyunseung Bang, So-Yeon Yoon, Daniel Selva and Guy Homan, Side-by-side Human-Computer Design using a Tangible User Interface, In Design Computing and Cognition 18, Springer
- Nozomi Hitomi, Hyunseung Bang, and Daniel Selva, Adaptive Knowledge-Driven Optimization for Architecting a Distributed Satellite System, Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, pp.1-16
- Hyunseung Bang, Antoni Viros, Aranu Prat, and Daniel Selva, Daphne: An Intelligent Assistant for Architecting Earth Observing Satellite Systems, In AIAA Information Systems-AIAA Infotech@ Aerospace, Kissimmee, FL, January 2018
- Hyunseung Bang and Daniel Selva, Leveraging Logged Intermediate Design Attributes for Improved Knowledge Discovery in Engineering Design, In Proceedings of the ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2016, Cleveland, OH, August 2017
- Nozomi Hitomi, Hyunseung Bang and Daniel Selva, Extracting and Applying Knowledge with Adaptive Knowledge-Driven Optimization to Architect an Earth Observing Satellite System, In AIAA Information Systems-AIAA Infotech@ Aerospace (p. 0794), Grapevine, TX, January 2017
- Hyunseung Bang and Daniel Selva, iFEED: Interactive Feature Extraction for Engineering Design, In Proceedings of the ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2016, Boston, MA, August 2016.